Happy New Year! I wish you all the best in 2013!
Wow! We had a great start of the year at school today. After the Christmas holidays we came back to a full PD day. At this time we were honored to have Pam Allyn, author of many books and director of LitWorld and LitLife.
My takeaway from today's sessions is:
- How can the 21st century tools help bring out the best of each and every child?
- Nowadays, everyone can get what they need from anybody. The challenge we face now is how to ask the right questions.
- 21st century school can help empower the shyest and most fearful child.
- Characteristics of 21st century learners: Connected, Collaborative, Critical Thinkers, Creative, Independent, Empathetic
- A paradigm shift is focusing on technology-based genres of text. For example, write a long essay and a short essay in Twitter form.
- The 21st century tools contribute to building empathy in the children. For example, in the community created in Facebook, in which people share and agree upon posts.
- "To be a master of content you have to be a strong reader." —Pam Allyn
Pam stressed that these are transformational times and that technology plays an important role, however it's not about teaching the tool, which will most likely be replaced by another one quite soon, but rather it's about empowering the students to thrive as learners in the 21st century.
Finally, I'll share a list of websites and apps that promote reading. They are all really good. Enjoy!